16 October 2008

The Clumsy Pigeon

Pigeons are often regarded as rats with wings. But I love them. There's something magical in their waddle. The strut. Whatever it is, I can't look away when I see them.

I was not stunned or surprised in the least to find that the rustling to my right was a pigeon clumsily landing in a pile of drying leaves. Birds are supposed to be majestic creatures and this one can't even manage to stand on its own two feet. I smiled. I felt for this graceless creature. I felt a cross-species kinship. I can't even manage to get out of a car without hurting myself or somehow tripping. The image of this winged creature is still with me. I imagine that it looked to see if anyone noticed before flying away. I hope that it grows confident enough with itself to just laugh it off next time.

My love for pigeons is rekindled.

-Theresa

No comments: