22 October 2008

Apple, I expected more.

I took my computer to Grand Rapids yesterday. There is an Apple store in the Woodland mall. Yesterday, I lost most of my faith in Apple. Today, I gained a bit back. But it's a bit of too little, too late.

The "Mac Genius" I worked with yesterday was more anxious to get to lunch than he was to work with me. I understand. I get it. I worked in retail. Sometimes, you just want to get to lunch. Okay, really, the second I got to work I was thinking about going to lunch. But when people had issues, I at the very least feigned an interest in whatever it was someone was complaining about. Even if I couldn't possibly care less. That was my job: pretend to care, even if I didn't. Especially if I didn't.

I handed my computer over to said Mac Genius and spent the next five minutes in awkward silence at the counter. "Do you have a good backup of everything?" Yes. "Why are you here today?" I wanted to drive an hour out of my way so you could tell me nothing was wrong with my computer and send me back with the same computer. That gas money and time was just burning a hole. Or, there are continual problems with my computer and I have an open case number. I was hoping you could look into the problems and get me the new computer I was promised as a part of my warranty. (Silence.)

Five minutes later, he tells me that that's it. Um, so, what do I do? The Best Mac Genius Ever told me they would call me in a few days. So I got some lunch and in my car and went back to Kalamazoo. Actually, I turned to the guy to the left of the first guy I was talking to and asked him all the questions the other guy seemed far too busy to answer. Then, I got in my car.

I decided to call on my case number anyway and let the woman know what happened. She called back while I was at work and couldn't answer, of course. I called back this morning... No answer. Left a message. She finally got ahold of me about an hour ago. I told her what happened. That I think it's ridiculous that I have to keep driving an hour for them to tell me nothing is wrong with the computer. When, clearly, there is something wrong. She called, put me on hold, called the store and filed a complaint with the store. They will be shipping me my computer overnight via FedEx after they fix it and call me. I was again assured that if there's another problem, they'll replace it.

What did the Mac Genius write up for me? That they were going to replace the camera and look at the Airport. I thought that the last time there was one more problem, they would just replace the computer. Well, no, not really. Now, if there's one more problem, they'll replace it. But, really, is there anything else that can break on my computer? Is there anything else an Apple store can tell me they're going to replace and then not?

I am displeased. I am not certain my next computer is going to be a Mac. There is just as much run-around as with PC. So, maybe they answer my phone calls. And make promises. But what difference does it make if nothing gets resolved?

One more. Okay, really this time, last one. Sorry about before, this will be the last one. Promise.

Really? How do computer companies get so far ahead?

Apple sent me a survey. I filled the box with words. They asked if they could call me. I said yes, before five PM, please.

The second guy I talked to? After I asked what the computer would be replaced with, he said the newest version of my MacBook, what they're calling MacBook White. When I got my computer, I paid an extra three hundred dollars to get better specs. It brought the price of the computer to $1500. Now, the same computer, with twice as much memory and RAM is $1000, base price. I can't quite tell yet if I'm pissed about that.

Not like it matters. I'm sure things will work okay until the day after my warranty is up.

I shouldn't care as much about material things, I know.

-Theresa

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Computers don't get replaced with new computers under warranty. Computers have the bad parts replaced under warranty.

Some businesses have special contracts with companies like Lenovo and Dell where you get a replacement REFURBISHED computer as advanced replacement for your failed one, but it is not the newest version and it is not a new computer. You should see the condition those machines when they arrive. They look like they've been used for skeet shooting, most of the time.

Batteries do wear out, and most companies have a cutoff as to when they will replace batteries under warranty. Apple has a cutoff of 300 charge cycles. Below that, and failure is considered premature. Above that, and the failure is considered to be "depletion" or basically that it's worn out. I don't know what your battery was at, so I can't really say anything other than I hope you find that tidbit useful FWIW. :)

And when companies release new product and lower the price of old product, in the computer industry, it happens more often than in any other branch of our technology economy! You're lucky that in two years the price for comparable technology is only 2/3 of what you paid for it. Most of the time, it is much more frustrating.

My best suggestion to you would be that, rather than take the machine to a group of techs that you don't like and is way out of the way, call AppleCare on the phone and ask to send it to the repair depot. They'll send you a box overnight, it'll get overnighted to the repair center, and overnighted back to you. Most of the time it's fast, as long as there's no dents, cracks, or gouges on it (and as long as the screen isn't cracked or the hinges not aligned.) I'd rather have an anonymous computer repair guy repair my laptop than a technician that I'm not confident in after speaking with them. At least, if they are anonymous, I can hope they are as good as me. ;)

Smells Like Apples said...

I tried to respond. And then Blogger ate my reply.

Mostly, I went on about how everything has gone wrong with my computer and it's more of a lemon thing then I somehow think I deserve a new computer. I just expected better from an Apple product. The day I took my computer home from the store two years ago, I had issues with it (The iSight, the USB ports not working, the case breaking in about two months).

As for the battery, I was below the charge cycle. And it was replaced after replacing the logic board didn't fix anything. I understand that it's a machine and not built to last forever. However, in the month of October alone, I would say that I've spent about five hours on the phone with Apple Care. They are no strangers to me. Also, I think it's pretty ridiculous to be without my computer an average of a week a month because it's being looked at. I'm anxious to have my computer back.

I appreciate the insight and the comment. I guess I'm just frustrated with the situation as a whole. I wish I knew enough about computers to solve my own problems. That's what I get for getting a BA in English, isn't it? Always having someone else fix my computer.

Anonymous said...

Apple's undisclosed policy is that if they have to perform 4 major repairs that are covered under the warranty, Apple will replace the computer-- not the parts, the computer-- with a CRU (Customer Replacement Unit). This means if your computer requires a 4th major repair that is covered under warrenty, instead of repairing the machine Apple will replace the computer with a brand new, current model machine most closely matching yours at the time you bought it. So if you bought the $1299 white MacBook in February 2008, it would be replaced by the current $1299 MacBook. The only grey area of the policy is what qualifies as a major repair and this is usually dependent on who you deal with at your local Apple Store and their interpretation of the rule. Hope this helps!

Smells Like Apples said...

Thanks for the comment! I'm actually typing this to you from my fully functioning aluminum MacBook. The manager I later spoke with at the store decided that he thought it was ridiculous to send my computer out again and replaced it for me. I bought the white MacBook in August of 2006 but I'd spent an extra bit of money to get some upgrades, which is why he offered me this model. I got the base model of the aluminum one but it's infinitely better then what I had before.

Thanks again for the insight.